4.) MAINTAINING A
PEST FREE ENVIRONMENT
Once pest insects are eradicated from in and around the structure,
construction of a pest defense system will reduce the occurrence and
severity of subsequent infestations or any pest insects. This step is key
to maintaining a sustainable urban environment.
- A well
balanced landscape of properly positioned native plants surrounding the
structure is a good first step. Refer to
- Outdoor lighting should be modified so as not to
attract insects to the structure. Lights that are on regularly during
the night should be placed away from the structure and bulbs should emit
yellow light where ever possible.
- Trash containers should have proper closing lids
and also be placed away from the structure. Compost should be turned
regularly and sealed if near structure.
- Incorporate a non-living barrier around
the entire perimeter of the structure with gravel, large rocks, or stone
- Construct a fish pond away the structure to not
only add beauty to the landscape, but also attract insects to hungry
fish rather than to your home.
- Ensure structure is in good repair including siding,
roof and gutters.
- Seal cracks in driveways and sidewalks.
- Block access to potential
entry points noted during inspection.
- Install modern doors and properly screened windows.